Ants are very interesting creatures. They are hardworking, disciplined, team players who always seem to be on a mission. Most people know that ants can deliver a painful bite, they live in anthills, and they are frustrating when they enter your home. You may also them carrying food much larger than their size into an anthill with an entrance much smaller than the food item, but there is so much more to these six legged insects. Below is a list of facts about ants that isn’t normally known.
- There are over 12,000 known species of ants. Species range is shape, color and size.
- Ants have 250,000 brain cells and are believed to be the smartest insects known.
- Ants don’t have ears. They use the vibrations felt through their feet and knees to detect sound.
- Ants breathe by taking in oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide through tiny holes on the bodies.
- Ants have colonized every landmass on planet earth EXCEPT the Arctic, Antarctica, and very few islands. Colonies range in size and has a distinct smell so intruders can be detected immediately.
- Large ant colonies are called supercolonies. The largest supercolony recorded is over 3,700 miles wide
- Recent research by the Ohio State University suggest that ants (depending on the species) can lift up to 5,000 times their body weight and not just 50 times as previously believed.
- Queen ants have wings and shed them when they start a new nest. They live for many years and have millions of babies (this is their only duty). When the queen dies, the colony dies because the workers are incapable of reproducing. Colonies rarely ever replace a queen.
- When ants go in search for food, they leave a trail of pheromones to remember where they’ve been. They also jump, glide, raft, and form living chains by holding on to each other to bridge vegetation and water to get to a meal.
- Ants have been known to use their skills to dominate other species of ant and use them to do work in their colonies.
- Ant bites vary in pain levels. Familiar ant bites sting a little and cause little inflammation. However, some ants can deliver a bite so painful, it feels like a bullet wound. Others can deliver a fatal bite, but anti-venom for these bites is now available.
- Ants can cause damage in homes over time. They typically nest in areas of the home that has wood. As the colony grows, they gnaw at the wood to create more space, and weaken parts of the home.
Ants seem to have the complete package. Their little bodies come complete with brains and brawn. If you have any other questions about ants or have an ant infestation, call the experts at Critter Control® of Orlando to provide a free custom home inspection for you. 407.295.7194.