Because of warmer weather conditions and humidity, Florida is home to a very wide variety of pests that other states are not. It’s important to be able to identify different pests, especially if they’re getting into your home. Here are five of the most common, and most pesky, insects you can find in the Sunshine State.
- Palmetto Bug- Or what most people like to call cockroaches. These nasty bugs can be found solo or in groups. They mostly live outside, but if they get into your home, they’ll search for a food source and mate if they can.
- No-See-Um- These tiny creatures are only one to four millimeters long, making them impossible to see, as their name would indicate. They deliver an annoying but painful bite to anyone who tends to spend their time outside and near bodies of water.
- Fire Ants- Can be found in most Florida homeowner’s backyards. If you come in contact with them, they’ll deliver a painful sting that will welt up in no time. Ants love sugar, so if you leave any sweet or stick foods out, they may try to enter your home and can be a pain to remove.
- Yellow Fever Mosquito- This mosquito originally hails from Africa, but has found a home in Florida. It can spread many diseases, some including yellow fever virus and the dengue fever.
- Yellow Fly- These vicious flies deliver a painful sting. Female yellow flies need to feed every time they mate, so they’re always searching for fresh blood. Their peak season in Florida is from April to June.
Keep Them Out
If you’ve got an insect problem in your home, it’s best to hire a professional company like Critter Control® Orlando to take care of it for you. We use our very own Eco-Wise pest control system that has minimum impact on your home and the environment. This means finding their sources of food and their entry points into your home and eliminating them. If we decide it is necessary to spray, we’ll use our Eco-Wise solution which is friendlier to children and pets. Call us today for your free consultation at 407.326.9582.