Rodents, like all animals, love to eat. They especially love the easy meals they can get inside your home or around your property. However, you can help deter unwanted house guests such as rats and mice by sanitizing and rodent-proofing.
Inside the House
Food and water left out for pets contribute to the increase in rodent populations. Once they know of an available food source, the rodents will keep returning until they are unable to get what they need.
To help prevent rodents from getting into your food, try the following:
- Store bulk food in glass or metal containers with the lids tightly sealed, especially prime rodent targets including flour, sugar, cornmeal, and grains. If you have bird feeders in your yard, make sure to keep the seeds in rodent-proof containers as well.
- Sweep, vacuum, or mop any spilled food.
- Make sure counters and appliances are free of crumbs.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes in the sink for an extended period.
- Put pet food and water away when your animals are no longer eating or drinking.
- Seal any holes or gaps around the plumbing underneath your sink, around your appliance’s electrical cords, and inside of the cabinets.
Around the Property
Make your home less attractive by maintaining your yard.
- Clear brush or overgrown grass near your home’s foundation to help remove popular rodent nesting spots. Regularly mow the lawn and remove any tree branches hanging over your roof.
- Relocate, eliminate, or use squirrel-proof bird feeders to avoid having a collection of seeds on the ground.
- Stack woodpiles and any other building materials at least 100 feet away from your home.
- Remove debris and trash from the yard and maintain compost piles.
- Keep outdoor garbage in tightly sealed containers and put it out on the curb on the day of trash pickup.
- Repair and seal any holes or points of entry such as unprotected vents and plumbing that rodents can use to get inside.
Wildlife Removal Specialists
If you currently have a rodent infestation, let the trained technicians at Critter Control® of Orlando remove the nuisance pests for you. Our years of experience have allowed us to discover and implement the best trapping and control methods to get your home back to normal and keep you and your family safe.