Burrowing or digging rats can damage house/building foundations, sidewalks, and roads. Rats also have a tendency to gnaw or chew on things such as plastic water pipes, electrical wires, and wood in walls, attics and around door frames. This is in addition to the damage they may do to food sources in your kitchen or pantry.
If you find evidence of rats, mice or rodents that have damaged food, throw it away immediately, taking care to protect yourself from possible contamination left behind by rat droppings.
How do you know if you have rats in or around your Orlando home?
- If you see rats in trees, shrubs, yard, power lines or on your roof or attic
- Gnawed or chewed citrus fruit in your yard
- Droppings, feces or strong urine smell
- Attic noises, scratching sounds coming from walls
- Entry scratches or gnawing marks around roof eaves or other points of entry
- Strange household pet behavior
Orlando rat traveling patterns
- Roof rats spend much of their time above ground they use power lines and vines to access roofs and attics
- They are great climbers and can scale brick walls and other rough surfaces
- Rats are great leapers, able to jump upwards of four feet
- Rats are nocturnal and will venture 200-300 feet from their nests
- Rats enjoy cooler weather and our more active in the winter months and early spring (November-May)
How rats enter Orlando homes
- Rats can enter structures such as residential homes, buildings, garages through an opening as small as a nickel looking for a new nest
- After entering a home through the roof and attic, rats can follow pipes or chew through walls to access food sources in the home
- When in search of food, rats can chew through aluminum, plastic, wood, plaster walls and other soft metals to gain entry to a house
At Critter Control® of Orlando, we are experts in rat habitat and rat behavior in the Orlando area. Our experienced rat removal technicians can identify whether your home infestation is a rat, mice, squirrels or other rodent or animal.
We can remove the invading animal, repair your home from animal damage and repair the entry ways the animal has created in your home to make sure they don’t come back. Call us today at 407.295.7194 to get started with your pest removal and repair.