Imagine returning home after a long day, prepared to enjoy the comfort of your air-conditioned interior only to have your airways flooded by a strong, foul stench; an odor so toxic, you jet out of the house as quickly as you can. That is what a dead mouse smell can do to your home, especially during excessively hot conditions—which happen to occur most of the year in Central Florida.
What’s worse, the body of a rodent, living or dead, carries numerous parasites, germs, and diseases that can result in the spread of any number of festering allergens or airborne infectious contaminants.
Here is how to rid your home of a dead mouse smell and ensure there are no lingering mice left behind.
Gear Up Prior to Dead Mouse Removal
Mice can get into extremely tight and narrow spaces such as underneath cabinets, deep in attic crawl spaces, and in between walls. Before attempting to remove a dead mouse, you will need proper safety gear to avoid exposure to infectious diseases. Appropriate gear for dead mouse removal includes:
- Facemask or covering
- Rubber gloves
- Expendable clothing
- Sealable plastic bags
- Bleach solution
9 Steps to Get Rid of Dead Mouse Smells From Your Home
There are a few steps you can follow to remove the dead mouse smell from your home. The best way to eradicate the smell of a dead mouse is to locate where the rodent’s corpse is and dispose of it. Then identify where it was nesting by following its paw prints or trail of droppings. Removal steps include:
- Mix up a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water in a spray bottle.
- Once located, place the dead mouse inside a sealed plastic bag.
- Spray the solution over the contaminated area.
- Wipe the area with paper towels or a rag. This should remove any decomposition or
- Dispose of the towels appropriately, preferably placing them in another tightly sealed bag.
- Dispose of the bags, gloves, and work clothes.
- Wash your hands for at least five minutes or shower following disposal.
- Set up fragrant deodorizers throughout your home.
- If the smell remains or if rodents or other pests persist, call wildlife removal professionals.
Your Central Florida Solution to Get Rid of Dead Mouse Smells
A dead mouse smell will permeate throughout your house, and, if not quickly rectified, can saturate your property permanently. Furthermore, it can be hard to locate and access the corpse of a rodent if it is behind your walls or in vents. Therefore, the most efficient and fast way to get rid of a dead mouse smell in your home is to seek the help of licensed and trained mouse removal professionals.
At Critter Control® of Orlando, we pride ourselves in using eco-friendly and humane methods of removal when it comes to unwanted critters inside and outside of your home or workplace. Once eliminated, we will also clean, repair, and decontaminate any damage left behind by the infestation.
If you encounter mice on your property, alive or dead, call Critter Control® of Orlando immediately at 407-295-7194 so our experts can get to work solving your mouse problem effectively and permanently.