Rats are always on the hunt for sources of food, warmth, and a place to nest. To avoid inviting rats into your home, you need to eliminate the things they need to survive.
When not being eaten, cover pet food dishes, store open pantry items in glass or metal containers, and use a trash can that has a lid. Also, it’s important that you eliminate any spaces that a rat could use to hide.
To help protect your home and yard from a rat infestation, there are some additional actions you can take, which include:
- Regularly turn on the compost bin or compost food scraps in a closed container.
- Pick up any fallen fruit from below trees.
- If you have a chicken coop, make sure to clean it frequently. Not only do rats eat the chicken feed, but they also eat chicken feces.
- Avoid having bird feeders.
Outside of Home
While rats can pretty much chew through anything, you don’t want to make it any easier for them to get inside.
- Cover chimney and dryer vents using steel screens.
- Make sure your home’s roof soffits and foundation are in good shape.
- Close any gaps under exterior doors and replace any screens that have holes in them.
- Seal all entry holes as small as half an inch located near vents, eaves, roof joints, plumbing stacks, AC chases, the chimney, soffit vents, loose siding, pipe outlets, etc.
- Don’t leave out any pet food dishes overnight.
- Use garbage cans that have tight lids.
Inside of Home
Rats love messes and places they can keep covered, so they aren’t visible to humans or predators.
- Eliminate any clutter.
- Make sure your kitchen is clean – wipe the counters and stove and sweep and mop the floor.
- Along with your main trashcan, empty any additional wastebaskets around your home on a regular basis.
- Seal any entry points you find inside that the rats could use to travel.
By doing a property investigation on the inside and outside of your home, you will be able to eliminate possible food sources and habitat spaces. To ensure the most thorough inspection is performed, it’s best to contact a wildlife removal company.
At Critter Control® of Orlando, we offer a complete line of animal prevention services. We will search your home and yard, and let you know where rats, as well as other rodents, can gain entry and wreak havoc. Our trained technicians have the experience to remove rats from your home efficiently and for good. Call us today at 407-295-7194.