Moles and gophers are similar rodents in terms of how they look and behave. However, once you know their differences, it is easier to distinguish what sets them apart from one another. While each critter appears adorable and seemingly harmless, they pose a great threat to the well-being and appearance of your yard. If there are burrowing animals tearing up your Central Florida property, here are some ways to tell the difference between a mole and a gopher so you know what services to enlist to remove the nuisance critters.
The Difference Between Moles and Gophers
While both rodents are furry, similar in appearance, and produce large piles of dirt on your grass, there are ways to tell the two apart. The ways in which moles and gophers differ include:
- Size –At six to eight inches long, moles are the smaller rodent. Gophers, on the other hand, range from five to 14 inches long.
- Appearance –Moles have a pointed and hairless nose with small eyes, big paws, and webbed toes on their front legs. Gophers, however, have prominent incisors and close their lips behind their teeth.
- What They Eat –The diet of a gopher includes plants and vegetables while moles eat insects. This is a key way to differentiate which rodent is caused damage to your yard.
- How They Dig –Moles dig into the ground creating a circular, cone-shaped hole with no regard for whether or not it closes behind them. Gopher hills are typically crescent-shaped with an intentionally closed hole.
- Tunnel Systems –The tunnel system for moles usually runs 16 to 18 inches deep while gopher tunnel systems are more shallow and 2 inches in diameter.
The Damages Caused of Moles and Gophers
Both rodents can cause significant and costly damage to residential and commercial properties. Not only can the pests destroy the well-being of your exterior foliage, grass, and soil, but by digging holes and tunnels in your front and backyard, moles and gophers can wreck plumbing, sever cables, and destroy the foundational integrity of your home, business, and surrounding vicinity. The damage that can be done may be irreversible without the help of experienced professionals who understand how to navigate and flush the pests’ hole and tunnel systems. It’s important to call a professional to safely remove moles or gophers to mitigate damage.
Expert Mole and Gopher Removal Services in Orlando
Seeking help from the professionals at Critter Control® of Orlando to solve your mole or gopher problem can save your property from serious damage. The CritterSafe® methods we use to remove the rodents safely and effectively include:
- Inspection –Our experts thoroughly examine your property for areas affected by the pest.
- Removal – We utilize eco-friendly and humane trapping methods to remove the critter.
- Repair – The areas that were damaged by the mole or gopher will be repaired and restored.
- Prevention –We secure any potential openings in your yard to prevent future infestations.
The experienced pest removal technicians at Critter Control® of Orlando will quickly and safely remove nuisance wildlife from your property and keep them from returning. To schedule your inspection and receive a free estimate, call Critter Control® of Orlando at 407-295-7194 today.